Lotus Blossom Pug

Lotus Blossom Pug

Monday, August 25, 2014

Dog treats?

Good morning!
I love to give my dogs a nice treat.  They get so excited and know to run to the fridge and give me that 'look".  I think it makes ME happier than it does them.  We all love to go shopping and get a new little toy or treat for our furry children.  What is so disturbing, is that we can actually kill our dog if we choose wrongly.  Some treats can be deadly.  I saw the package of one brand of store bought treats that said 'made it America' on the front of the package, but in very small letters on the back it stated that the ingredients were from China. A friend of mine's pug almost died from this very brand of dollar store 'waggin train' treats. I hate that we live in a world where I feel almost scammed at every turn.  Can't we even trust that a dog treat is safe?  I guess not.
I buy cheese for treats.  Sometimes I cook a chicken breast or two and cut it up in small chunks and put it in the freezer.  There are so many recipes on the internet for homemade cookies and treats for our pets.  I've bought a 'homemade' cookie (that looked like our cookies) in the pet store for my pug...but they were as hard as a rock and my pug wanted nothing to do with it.
Below is a link if you would like to do more reading....
http://www.greendogpetsupply.com/blog/almost-2000-sick-or-dead-pets-reported-to-fda/

Here is a simple three ingredient recipe for you...
3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Pumpkin Homemade Dog Treats
1/2 cup Natural Peanut Butter
1 cup 100% Pure Pumpkin Puree, canned
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together peanut butter and pumpkin. Stir in the flour 1/4 cup at a time just until dough is no longer sticky.
3. Roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment paper to 1/4″ thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the dough, then place on the prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment